Constellation Cygnus Loop
This is only a portion of the Veil Nebula that covers
some 3 degrees. It is a cloud of heated and ionized gas and
dust. A remnant of a supernova that exploded 5,000 to 8,000 years
ago. That is huge! Some 36 times the area of the full
moon…. Astronomers are not sure exactly how far away
the Veil is from earth but some spectroscopic reports indicate it may
be 1,470 light-years away. There are 3 main visual components to
this bad boy.
1. The Western Veil ngc 6960 – the one we have here
2. The Eastern Veil ngc 6962
3. Pickering Triangle – the north central edge of the loop.
4. Ngc 6974 & ngc 6979 are knots in a fainter patch on the north rim.
5. Other sections with ngc numbers are 6992,and 6995
We will try and get those at some point in the future.